Skip to main content

Woman banned from zoo added 4 year affair with chimpanzee

A zoo in Antwerp, Belgium, has banned a woman from seeing her favorite chimpanzee because their relationship is interfering with the chimp's ability to bond with his fellow primates.

Adie Timmermans, a regular at the zoo's primate enclosure, was told this week by the Antwerp Zoo that she would be prohibited from seeing Chita, a 38-year-old chimpanzee she calls the apple of her eye.

"I love that animal, and he loves me," Timmermans said to Belgian news channel ATV, adding she had been visiting Chita every week for four years.

Timmermans described her interactions with Chita as a "real relationship" and said her bond with the chimpanzee was like "having an affair."

She shared clips of herself pressed up against the glass of the monkey enclosure, "kissing" Chita through the glass and waving to him.

Timmermans says it isn't fair that she has been banned from seeing Chita, while scores of other people are allowed to. She said the chimp is "all" she has in her life.

"I haven't got anything else. Why do they want to take this away from me?" Timmermans told ATV tearfully. "Other dozens of visitors are allowed to make contact with Chita, but why not me?"

But Antwerp Zoo spokeswoman Sarah Lafaut, who manages the zoo's mammal collection, had a good reason for the ban.

"When Chita is constantly surrounded by visitors, the other animals ignore him and don't consider him part of the group," Lafaut told ATV.

Lafaut added that as a result of Chita's interactions with Timmermans and other human visitors, he spent all his time outside the zoo's opening hours sitting in isolation, completely shunned by the rest of the primate troupe.

"An animal that is too focused on humans is less respected by its peers," Lafaut said.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corps member slumps and dies in rivers state

A corps member, Atiye Florence Aduke reportedly slumped and died following an incident which occurred in her apartment at Abua Odual LGA in Rivers state where she was serving. . The member of 2019 Batch C, Stream 2 of the youth program who slumped and hit her head against a wall in her house on Wednesday May 27, died on Saturday May 30 after being rushed to the hospital. . Friends and loved ones of the deceased have taken to social media to pen down tributes to her.  Atiye Olawale wrote “Painfull exit, Atiye Florence Aduke u told me that I should come and visit you once u come back from Port Harcourt to Lagos of which i make move, before getting there, u call me on my way that “Bros Wale” don’t bother yourself ‘I will be fine’ but greet our mother for me till I come back from my journey. Not knowing that u are saying your last word.” 

Nigerians help me, my friend duped me – Actor Mr Portable cries out

Popular Nollywood Yoruba actor and producer, Olu Olowogemo Arijan also known as Mr Portable, has called on Nigerians to come to his aid after his friend duped him of his money. According to the actor, he was asked by the friend who is based outside of the country to sell his only car so he can get him another one from abroad. He went ahead to sell his car and sent the money to his friend only to be disappointed by the friend. He reported that it has been 2 years now since the man collected the money and nothing has been heard from him. Narrating his ordeal, Mr Portable beckoned on fans and followers to come to his rescue and let justice prevail. Sharing the video, he wrote: “Yes!! I was duped by a friend, ki Olorun gba wa lowo ota bi ore. He is hiding under the umbrella of not staying in Nigeria and I will hide under the voice of my lovers cause I know you people will come to my rescue and let justice be done. I have nothing, but I have my voice and you all,even if I am a millionaire, ...

Summon Fashola over Lekki tollgate camera - #EndSARS lawyer tells panel

A lawyer representing #EndSARS protesters at the Lagos state Judicial panel on Inquiry, Adesina Ogunlana, has called on the panel to invite the Minister of Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, over the camera he found at the Lekki tollgate on Sunday, October 25.   Fashola had accompanied some South-West governors and Ministers to Lagos to commiserate with the state governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, over the massive destruction of lives and properties that took place in the wake of the hijacked #EndSARS protest. While taking a tour of some of the public facilities destroyed, Fashola found a camera which he said would help in the investigation.    At the resumed hearing of the panel on Friday, November 27, Ogunlana told the chairman of the panel, Retired Justice Doris Okuwobi, that the former Minister needs to be summoned so he can explain the circumstances in which he found a camera at the tollgate five days after the shooting incident.   He averred that t...