Skip to main content

Amputee hawker apologises to Nigerians for lying; accuses her grandma of trying to blackmail her for money

Mary Daniel, the amputee hawker who has recently been accused of not being completely truthful about her condition, has apologized to Nigerians.
 
The 27-year-old single mother received N25million donations from Nigerians who were moved by claims that she lost her leg in an accident that claimed the life of all passengers, including her parents.
 
However, it's been claimed that there was no accident and she was amputated "from birth", a claim she denies. It was also reported that her father is still alive.
 
Speaking to SaharaReporters, Mary said she made a mistake by saying her father was dead, but she did so because the man abandoned her. 
 
Mary denied claims that her presence in Oshodi was staged to garner sympathy.
 
She said she's been hawking for a while to make ends meet.
 
She explained that she used to hawk in Onitsha, Anambra state, from where she moved to Asaba in Delta state and then to Lagos.
 
She also denied claims that she had been receiving strange calls from the people who staged her story as they want their share of her fortune.
 
She told SaharaReporters that it was her maternal grandmother who had been making the calls to demand for money even after she sent her N200,000.
 
As for lying about being in an accident, she claimed there was nothing to lie about as it's obvious she is an amputee who lost a leg. 
 
She said: "My father abandoned me since I was involved in this accident, there was no one to take care of me, nothing! That was why I said he's dead. But my mother is truly dead. I had an accident truly; I was not amputated from birth. 
 
"It was my grandmother that called me that she does not have anything, that if I have, I should send it. I said let me give her small money so she can use it to manage herself for now. I wanted to send N100k I sent N200k instead. She called me and asked why I sent her such a meagre amount, that, do I think she doesn't know what's going on, that how will people be contributing money for me and all I do is to send N200,000. 
 
"She said I should send more money or she will expose me and I will go back to selling pure water. I was shocked.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boko Haram throws Maiduguri into darkness again, blows up power tower.

Barely 72 hours after electric power was restored in Maiduguri, Borno State, Boko Haram insurgents on Saturday, March 27,  blew up another transmission tower in the city. Premium Times reports that the insurgents planted explosives on each leg of the tower, which they detonated at about 6 a.m. In January, the terrorists struck power installations thrice at a location about 50km from Maiduguri to keep the city in the dark. The power, was however, restored on Wednesday, March 24, after nearly two months of blackout. While reconnecting the installation, three TCN officials were severely injured by a landmine planted by the insurgents. Another official was said to have lost his life after falling off a tower. The city has now been thrown into another darkness following the Saturday morning attack.

Billionaire Game of Thrones games tycoon and Netflix producer, Lin Qi, dies at 39 after allegedly being poisoned by a co-worker amid fights among his company's executives'

Lin Qi, chairman and CEO of the Chinese entertainment company Yoozoo Group and a producer on Netflix's upcoming series   The Three-Body Problem , has died after he was allegedly poisoned by a co-worker amid fights among his company's executives'   His company, Yoozoo Group confirmed that Lin died on Christmas Day after having been hospitalized about a week earlier. He was 39.   Police in Shanghai are currently investigating his death, and have reportedly arrested a suspect only named Xu, who Chinese media outlets have identified as Lin's colleague at Yoozoo, Xu Yao.    Local reports also allege that a dispute among Yoozoo executives led to Lin's death after he was allegdlly poisoned via aged pu’er tea.   The China Economic Weekly, a magazine with ties to the People’s Daily, mouthpiece of the ruling Communist Party, said that Xu is suspected of having poisoned Lin due to “work disputes” that resulted in the former’s salary being cut. He may have adminis...

Nigerian footballer, Kelvin Odenigbo, drowns in Belarus lake

A Nigerian footballer, Kelvin Odenigbo, playing for FC Vitebsk in Belarus, has been found dead after drowning in a lake. Announcing his passing, the Belarusian Premier League club in a statement released, said the corpse of the 20-year-old striker was found on Saturday, June 5 by the lake Beloye, a tourist destination in the Vitebsk region. “We express our sincere condolences to the family and friends of the football player. The football club Vitebsk reports that on June 5, 2021, on the lake Beloye, in the area of the tourist base Verasy, OSVOD employees found the drowned Kelvin Odenigbo. We will publish all official information as it becomes available. We express our sincere condolences to the family and friends of the football player, as well as to all the fans of the team,” the statement read Odenigbo joined the club on loan from NAF Rockets FC, the Nigerian National League side, at the end of last season before making the switch permanent for the 11-match-old 2021/22 se...