Skip to main content

I'm not going to take the knee or weak black lives matter on the back of my shirt, it's degrading - Footballer, Wilfried zaha

Crystal palace and Ivory Coast footballer, Wilfried Zaha has vowed to stop taking the knee before matches and urged fellow black footballers to do the same because he believes the gesture has lost its meaning and may even be making blacks a 'target' for racial abuse.

The former Manchester United player, 28, believes taking the knee to show support for racial equality is becoming ‘something we just do now’.

Brentford players have stopped making the gesture as they 'no longer feel that it is making an impact'.
 

Zaha speaking at Thursday’s Financial Times’ Business of Football summit, said: ‘I’ve said before that I feel like taking the knee is degrading and stuff because growing up my parents just let me know that I should be proud to be black no matter what and I feel like we should just stand tall. 

'Trying to get the meaning behind it, it’s becoming something that we just do now and that’s not enough for me. 

‘I’m not going to take the knee, I’m not going to wear Black Lives Matter on the back of my shirt because it feels like it’s a target. We’re trying to say that we’re equal but we’re isolating ourselves with these things that aren’t even working anyway, so that’s my stand on it. 
 

'I feel like we should stand tall. Now I don’t really tend to speak on racism and stuff like that because I’m not here just to tick boxes. Unless action is going to happen, don’t speak to me about it.’

Zaha, has also been targeted with abuse on several occasions on social media in the past.

Speaking on the On the Judy podcast, Zaha said: 'The whole kneeling down - why must I kneel down for you to show that we matter?

'Why must I even wear Black Lives Matter on the back of my top to show you that we matter? This is all degrading stuff.

'When people constantly want to get me to do Black Lives Matter talks and racial talks and I'm like, I'm not doing it just so you can put "Zaha spoke for us". Like a tick box, basically.

'I'm not doing any more, unless things change. 

'All these platforms - you see what's happening, you see people making fake accounts to abuse black people constantly, but you don't change it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boko Haram throws Maiduguri into darkness again, blows up power tower.

Barely 72 hours after electric power was restored in Maiduguri, Borno State, Boko Haram insurgents on Saturday, March 27,  blew up another transmission tower in the city. Premium Times reports that the insurgents planted explosives on each leg of the tower, which they detonated at about 6 a.m. In January, the terrorists struck power installations thrice at a location about 50km from Maiduguri to keep the city in the dark. The power, was however, restored on Wednesday, March 24, after nearly two months of blackout. While reconnecting the installation, three TCN officials were severely injured by a landmine planted by the insurgents. Another official was said to have lost his life after falling off a tower. The city has now been thrown into another darkness following the Saturday morning attack.

Billionaire Game of Thrones games tycoon and Netflix producer, Lin Qi, dies at 39 after allegedly being poisoned by a co-worker amid fights among his company's executives'

Lin Qi, chairman and CEO of the Chinese entertainment company Yoozoo Group and a producer on Netflix's upcoming series   The Three-Body Problem , has died after he was allegedly poisoned by a co-worker amid fights among his company's executives'   His company, Yoozoo Group confirmed that Lin died on Christmas Day after having been hospitalized about a week earlier. He was 39.   Police in Shanghai are currently investigating his death, and have reportedly arrested a suspect only named Xu, who Chinese media outlets have identified as Lin's colleague at Yoozoo, Xu Yao.    Local reports also allege that a dispute among Yoozoo executives led to Lin's death after he was allegdlly poisoned via aged pu’er tea.   The China Economic Weekly, a magazine with ties to the People’s Daily, mouthpiece of the ruling Communist Party, said that Xu is suspected of having poisoned Lin due to “work disputes” that resulted in the former’s salary being cut. He may have adminis...

Nigerian footballer, Kelvin Odenigbo, drowns in Belarus lake

A Nigerian footballer, Kelvin Odenigbo, playing for FC Vitebsk in Belarus, has been found dead after drowning in a lake. Announcing his passing, the Belarusian Premier League club in a statement released, said the corpse of the 20-year-old striker was found on Saturday, June 5 by the lake Beloye, a tourist destination in the Vitebsk region. “We express our sincere condolences to the family and friends of the football player. The football club Vitebsk reports that on June 5, 2021, on the lake Beloye, in the area of the tourist base Verasy, OSVOD employees found the drowned Kelvin Odenigbo. We will publish all official information as it becomes available. We express our sincere condolences to the family and friends of the football player, as well as to all the fans of the team,” the statement read Odenigbo joined the club on loan from NAF Rockets FC, the Nigerian National League side, at the end of last season before making the switch permanent for the 11-match-old 2021/22 se...