Skip to main content

WHO declares coronavirus global emergency

Tedros Ghebreyesus

The World Health Organisation (WHO) thursday declared a global emergency on the outbreak of the New Coronavirus, whose eruption first started in the Chinese town of Wuhan.

The global health coordinator said the disease now represents a risk beyond China, where the first outbreak occurred last month.
thursday’s declaration represented a U-turn in WHO’s pronouncement last week to delay such a declaration, a report by the New York Times said.

According to WHO, since its pronouncement last week, thousands of new cases in China and clear human-to-human transmission in several other countries, including the United States, warranted a reconsideration of that decision by the agency’s expert committee.

The WHO’s declaration — officially called a “public health emergency of international concern” — does not have the force of law. But it serves notice to all United Nations member-states that the world’s top health advisory body thinks the situation is grave.
Governments then make their own decisions about whether to close their borders, cancel flights, screen people arriving at airports or take other protective measures.

Declaring emergencies also adds urgency to any WHO appeal for money. Thus far, that is hardly relevant: The countries most affected — China, Japan, Germany, South Korea, the United States and Vietnam — can afford to wage their own battles against the virus.

By contrast, the Democratic Republic of Congo has needed large infusions of cash and medical expertise to fight an ongoing Ebola outbreak, and the need for money was one of the reasons the WHO declared an international emergency in that case, even though Ebola has not spread outside of Congo except in a few patients who briefly entered Uganda.

Last week, the committee was divided. Declaring emergencies is always a hard decision, said Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the WHO’s director general, because closed borders and cancelled flights lead to personal hardships for millions of healthy people near the epicentre and can cause massive economic disruption.

In the worst cases, supplies of food and medicine can run short and panic can spread, threatening to do more damage than the disease does.

Nigeria has also stepped up efforts to prevent the spread of Coronavirus to the country just as Nigerians on Wednesday took to the social media, calling on the federal government to tighten security at airports as over 300,000 Chinese are bound to arrive the country from China this week.

The House of Representatives has also requested the Ministry of Health, Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS), the Quarantine Services, the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) and other agencies to set up screening centres at the point of entry into the country.

Nigerians, who took to the Twitter to warn the Nigerian government over the planned return of Chinese residents in Nigeria into the country from holiday, called for heightened surveillance and checks at the airport to prevent them from importing the virus into the country.

Their call, tagged: ‘Hundreds of Chinese” was yesterday afternoon, number one on the trending list on Twitter, with over 42,000 mentions.

However, a senior officer of the Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS) told THISDAY on condition of anonymity that the 300,000 figure was an exaggeration.

In a statement given to THISDAY on Wednesday, the Chief Executive Officer, Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), Dr. Chikwe Ihekweazu, had said the agency was aware that Chinese nationals were expected back into Nigeria following their Lunar New Year holiday, WHO had not placed travel restrictions on anyone.

Reacting to the fears over the returning Chinese, the federal government said they would be isolated on arrival for two weeks.
It also urged Nigerians to suspend trips to China.

Minister of Health, Dr. Osage Ehanire, while briefing State House reporters on Wednesday after the Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting in Abuja, said the federal government was compelled to issue the travel advisory to Nigerians and foreigners from affected countries in a bid to prevent the spread of the virus to the country.

China has also effectively isolated Hubei Province, stranding more than 30 million people, at the height of the New Year holidays — an act tantamount to quarantining the Midwest at Christmastime.

China said on thursday that another 38 people had died from the disease, bringing the total to 170.
Nearly 8,000 cases have been reported worldwide, almost all of them in mainland China.

Yesterday, Russia closed its 2,600-mile border with China and stopped all trains except for one between Moscow and Beijing.
Within China, some medical experts have questioned their country’s response, arguing that local officials could have put in place stricter travel restrictions before the virus spilled beyond the central city of Wuhan. The country has now confirmed cases in every province and region.

The WHO has made such declarations just five times since its power to do so was established in 2005: for the pandemic influenza in 2009, a polio resurgence in 2014, the Ebola epidemic in West Africa that same year, the Zika virus outbreak in 2016 and an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo last year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corps member slumps and dies in rivers state

A corps member, Atiye Florence Aduke reportedly slumped and died following an incident which occurred in her apartment at Abua Odual LGA in Rivers state where she was serving. . The member of 2019 Batch C, Stream 2 of the youth program who slumped and hit her head against a wall in her house on Wednesday May 27, died on Saturday May 30 after being rushed to the hospital. . Friends and loved ones of the deceased have taken to social media to pen down tributes to her.  Atiye Olawale wrote “Painfull exit, Atiye Florence Aduke u told me that I should come and visit you once u come back from Port Harcourt to Lagos of which i make move, before getting there, u call me on my way that “Bros Wale” don’t bother yourself ‘I will be fine’ but greet our mother for me till I come back from my journey. Not knowing that u are saying your last word.” 

Nigerians help me, my friend duped me – Actor Mr Portable cries out

Popular Nollywood Yoruba actor and producer, Olu Olowogemo Arijan also known as Mr Portable, has called on Nigerians to come to his aid after his friend duped him of his money. According to the actor, he was asked by the friend who is based outside of the country to sell his only car so he can get him another one from abroad. He went ahead to sell his car and sent the money to his friend only to be disappointed by the friend. He reported that it has been 2 years now since the man collected the money and nothing has been heard from him. Narrating his ordeal, Mr Portable beckoned on fans and followers to come to his rescue and let justice prevail. Sharing the video, he wrote: “Yes!! I was duped by a friend, ki Olorun gba wa lowo ota bi ore. He is hiding under the umbrella of not staying in Nigeria and I will hide under the voice of my lovers cause I know you people will come to my rescue and let justice be done. I have nothing, but I have my voice and you all,even if I am a millionaire, ...

Summon Fashola over Lekki tollgate camera - #EndSARS lawyer tells panel

A lawyer representing #EndSARS protesters at the Lagos state Judicial panel on Inquiry, Adesina Ogunlana, has called on the panel to invite the Minister of Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, over the camera he found at the Lekki tollgate on Sunday, October 25.   Fashola had accompanied some South-West governors and Ministers to Lagos to commiserate with the state governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, over the massive destruction of lives and properties that took place in the wake of the hijacked #EndSARS protest. While taking a tour of some of the public facilities destroyed, Fashola found a camera which he said would help in the investigation.    At the resumed hearing of the panel on Friday, November 27, Ogunlana told the chairman of the panel, Retired Justice Doris Okuwobi, that the former Minister needs to be summoned so he can explain the circumstances in which he found a camera at the tollgate five days after the shooting incident.   He averred that t...